9.02.2008

6 Weeks and Counting...

My company produced the Boulder Creek Hometown Fair, a three day festival, over Labor Day Weekend and I am feeling pretty tired today! We really lucked out with the weather and had a nice turnout for the event. It was funny because during the early stages of planning, my company (myself included) thought I would be completely useless over the weekend. However, I ended up feeling really good. I put in a good, solid 13 hours a day since Friday and only suffered from a bit of swelling in the old legs and good amount of acid reflux due to the amount of chili ingested during our Chili Cookoff. Not too bad! The event is a really cute community festival that features musical performances, food and beverage areas, arts and crafts vendors, kids' activities, zucchini races, big wheel races, pie eating contests, a chili cookoff, sponsors, samplers, etc. The zucchini races are the best. We buy zucchinis that are way past their prime so they are humongous. Then, we have kids decorate them with paint, glitter, pipe cleaners, stickers, etc. Next, they strap on some wheels and axles and then race them down a big ramp. Here is a picture so you can see what I am talking about....

The kids get prizes for participating and then tie a string around their zucchinis and walk them around the event. It is really adorable. The pie eating contests are also a lot of fun. My coworkers forced me to participate a couple of years ago and I am one terrible pie eater when I am under pressure. Luckily, we had plenty of pie eaters this year so I was off the hook.

Like I mentioned, I am pretty beat today. The good thing is that this is a really slow time at work so I have plenty of time to rest and get ready for our next big event, Baby W.'s arrival. We are now six weeks out, which is unbelievable to me. At last week's doctor's appt., my uterus was measuring small so our doc wanted another ultrasound to make sure that the baby was growing okay in there. It made us a little bit nervous but the ultrasound showed that the baby is doing great. He/She seems to be right on track and was estimated to weigh about 4 and 1/2 pounds, which is right in the normal range.
Here is the weekly baby update:

Your pregnancy: 34 weeks
How your baby's growing:Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

Josh has been busy putting together all of our baby stuff in anticipation of the big day. He just finished the baby swing and the rainforest jumparoo. He was quite proud of the latter because he did it all without reading the directions (normal for him) and actually using all of the parts that were supplied in the box (absolutely NOT normal for him).

Lastly, our niece Sammy tried cereal for the first time last week. If you haven't watched her video at http://valentine-family.blogspot.com/, do it immediately. I can't figure out which is funnier - Sammy's face when Emily puts the cereal in her mouth or Chris' commentary throughout the video!

No comments: